Worship on Sunday, November 24th
On Tuesday evening, November 12th, at about 10:30 p.m. a furnace malfunction caused our church building to be filled with smoke. Our fire alarm, which is a monitored system, worked well and with the quick response of fire fighting personnel, tragedy was averted. Smoke damage, however, is estimated to be around $30-35,000.00—which is far less than the cost of replacing a building. Fortunately, our insurance covers the cost of the clean-up. With the exception of the items in the Nursery (all of which need to be destroyed), nothing was lost.
We are hopeful that we will be back in the building for worship on Sunday, November 24th. However, some issues will remain; such as the cleaning of the stained glass windows and the use of the Choir Room, Nursery and Priest’s Sacristy—all of which should return to normal use by the First Sunday of Advent, December 1st.
This past Sunday, services were held in the Alger Center. Our 10:30 a.m. Worship was filled! Gathering together for prayer and praise, we were reminded that Zion Episcopal Church isn’t as much about a building, as it is about the people! Following the service we enjoyed a festive coffee hour and much conversation.
We are blessed! Blessed with the quick and professional response of the fire departments of Jefferson County, blessed with a Junior Warden and Sexton who endeavored to keep our buildings safe; blessed with ample office volunteers and prayerful parishioners, and blessed also with the Spirit of God who causes our hearts to lift even in the midst of the disorder and chaos of life.
We give you thanks, O God, for the gifts of your people, and for the work of many hands, which have made our buildings and furnished them for the celebration of your holy mysteries. Bless us as well, for it is through the faith and love of you that we have made these structures. Strengthen us in heart, mind and spirit to carry on our witness of your Gospel to be living and breathing temples to the glory of God. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.